The result of this traditional recipe is a an olive oil based cake, which is cooked for the 27th of August in Greece. We call it fanouropita and we share it with the people around us (family, neighbours, friends) on the same day.
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sultanas
- 500g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius. Rub a 32cm round cake tin with olive oil or line the bottom of the tin with baking parchment and grease the sides.
2. Place sultanas in a bowl and cover them with the water and brandy.
3. Beat the olive oil, sugar, juice, zest with a free-standing mixer or with a wooden spoon. When the mixture is nice and smooth, pulse in the flour and cinnamon. Mix together the walnuts and the sultanas mix.
4. Mix well, then tip into a cake tin. Place on the middle shelf of your preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. When cool, dust with icing sugar.