Perfect vegetarian recipe for lunch or dinner. Put a tiny bit of crunch and extra visual appeal with chia or pumpkin seeds are stirred in after the soup is ready.
Serves 6 to 8
- 500g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into wedges
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 litre water or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 orange juice and zest of
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons Greek yoghurt or crumbled feta cheese,to serve
In a medium soup pot, heat 3-4 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic cloves, pumpkin, potatoes, carrots and stir to coat in the oil for about a minute. Add the orange juice, zest and water. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 to 40 minutes until the soup is dense. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Then whiz with a hand-held blender until smooth. Bring just back to the boil, then turn off the heat.
Serve in individual bowls, topped with yoghurt or feta and drizzled with olive oil.
Tip: The cooled soup can be frozen, for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in fridge and reheat as above.